Latest News

Study Without a Permit

  • Home
  • Study Without a Permit

Study Without a Permit

A foreign national usually requires a study permit to study in Canada. However, there are circumstances and situations where a foreign student is exempt from this requirement. Short-Term Study.

If you intend to study in Canada for six months or less, you do not require a study permit. The courses may be taken on a part- or full-time basis. In order to be deemed exempt from the requirement for a study permit, the course of study should be completed within the six month period. A visa extension will not be granted for the sole purpose of completing a short-term program. If a foreign national plans to study for six months or less but has the intention to work on campus or continue his studies in Canada after completion of the initial program, he must apply for a study permit.

Minors and Children

Any minor child residing in Canada may study at a pre-school, primary or secondary level without a study permit. This applies to the children of temporary students or workers, as well as Canadian citizens and permanent residents.

This exception does not apply to children of temporary residents who are not authorized to work or study in Canada (i.e. visitors).

Family & Private staff of Diplomats

Family members or members of the private staff of foreign diplomats and foreign accredited representatives like spouse, dependent child, or dependent child of a dependent child do not require a permit to study in Canada.

Members of Foreign Armed Forces in Canada

Members of the armed forces of a country that is a designated state under the Visiting Forces Act do not require a study permit to study in Canada.