Latest News

Post-Graduation Work Permit

  • Home
  • Post-Graduation Work Permit

Post-Graduation Work Permit

International students who successfully complete a post-secondary education in Canada are eligible to apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit. They can be issued up to three years post graduation work permit. This permit is an Open Work Permit allowing them to work in any job, without restrictions. Not all schools that students attend in Canada qualify them to be issued a post-graduation work permit.

Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit, international students must:

Have studied full-time for at least eight months preceding the completion of their program and must have graduated from one of the following:

  • A public post-secondary educational institution (university, college, or CEGEP)
  • A private post-secondary educational institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions, and receives at least 50 per cent of its financing for operations from government grants
  • A Canadian private educational institution authorized by provincial or territorial statute to confer degrees.

Apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation from their academic institution that they have met the requirements of their program.

Have completed and passed the program of study and received written notification that they are eligible to obtain their degree, diploma, or certificate.

Have a valid study permit when applying for the work permit.