Latest News



North American Free Trade Agreement

Under the terms of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) , citizens of America and Mexico can apply for a temporary Work Permit in Canada. Work Permits under the provisions of NAFTA do not usually require a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

The Work permits under NAFTA are further classified as:

NAFTA Professionals

A NAFTA Professional must be qualified to work in one of the occupations listed by the government of Canada as occupations that are eligible. Documents necessary to proof educational credentials and/or proof of work experience in the particular field may be needed before a visa is granted. NAFTA Professionals must have pre-arranged employment in Canada in an occupation that matches their qualifications. Individuals who wish to perform self-employed work in Canada are not eligible for this category.

NAFTA Intra-Company Transfers

NAFTA Intra-Company Transferees must be transferred to Canada on a temporary basis in order to work for a branch, subsidiary, or affiliate of their US or Mexican employer. In addition, they must have worked continuously for their US or Mexican employer for at least one year of the last three years and be employed by the company at the time of application. A NAFTA Intra-Company Transferee must work in a capacity that is considered managerial, executive, or involving specialized knowledge.

NAFTA Traders and Investors

A NAFTA Trader must demonstrate an intention to carry out substantial trade of goods or services between Canada and his or her country of citizenship (US or Mexico). A NAFTA Investor must demonstrate that he or she has made a substantial investment in a new or existing Canadian business and that he or she is seeking entry to Canada to develop and direct the Canadian business. Work permits in the NAFTA Investor category may also be granted to employees of the primary Investor who can be considered as essential staff to the said business.